- Amodio P., Boeckle M., Schnell A.K., Ostojić L., Fiorito G. & Clayton N.S. 2018. Grow smart and die young: why did cephalopods evolve intelligence? Trends in Ecology and Evolution. In press.
- Schnell A.K., Bellanger C., Vallortigara G. & Jozet-Alves C. (2018) Visual asymmetries in cuttlefish during brightness matching for camouflage, Current Biology, 28: R1 – R3.
- Allen J.J., Akkaynak D., Schnell A.K. & Hanlon R.T. (2017) Dramatic fighting by male cuttlefish for a female mate, American Naturalist, 190: 144 – 151.
- Schnell A.K., Hanlon R.T., Benkada A. & Jozet-Alves C. (2016) Lateralization of eye use in cuttlefish: opposite direction for anti-predatory and predatory behaviors, Frontiers in Physiology, 7: 620.
- Schnell A.K., Smith C.L., Hanlon R.T., Hall K.C. & Harcourt R. (2016) Cuttlefish perform multiple displays to communicate a hierarchy of threats. Behavioral Ecology & Sociobiology, 70: 1643 – 1655.
- Schnell A.K., Smith C.L., Hanlon R.T. & Harcourt R. (2015) Giant Australian cuttlefish use mutual assessment to resolve male-male contests. Animal Behaviour, 107: 31 – 40.
- Schnell A.K., Smith C.L., Hanlon R.T. & Harcourt R. (2014) Female receptivity, mating history, and familiarity influence the mating behavior of cuttlefish. Behavioral Ecology & Sociobiology, 69: 283 – 292.
- Schnell A.K. & Seebacher F. (2008) Can phenotypic plasticity facilitate the geographic expansion of the invasive tilapia Oreochromis mossambicus? Physiological and Biochemical Zoology, 81: 733 -742.
- Schnell A.K. (2018) Invited Commentary, The Search for Complex Cognition in Cephalopods. Cosmos Magazine – expected Oct 2018.
- Schnell A.K. (2018) Invited Commentary, Curiosity and the Cephalopods. The Psychologist, Tree of Life Issue: 3.
- Schnell A.K. (2016) Invited Commentary, Decoding the rules of cuttlefish fightclub. Biosphere Magazine, Issue 19: 25 – 31.